Skip to main content

Posts

Curtiss H-81 A-2 / Airfix 1:48

My latest model is the very nice P-40B kit from Airfix which is quite enjoyable to build. There are some panel lines that need to be filled in and a few things to be fixed here and there, but nothing major.

This is a the aircraft of David Lee "Tex" HILL of the AVG for which the decals were sourced from a vintage Aeromaster sheet. Exhaust pipes are from QB. Pitot, gunsight and barrels from Master.
Now that it is done, I must confess that I find the wheels ugly and that they would benefit from being replaced.








Recent posts

DH-112 Venom Mk I - Classic Airframes - 1/48

Hi,

The latest one finished beginning of November 2018. This is the Classic Airframes kit to which I added the specific nose and auxiliary "FLUNT" tanks of the Swiss version. Decals are from MC-one. The build was not too complicated but a lot of time and care was needed to make this model look okay. For those of you who noticed that the airbrakes and flaps are not down, I will just say that the aircraft just landed and the pilot likes to have things tidy.

The paint job is purposely worn out which is typical of Swiss Venoms.






Lockheed F-104G - Hasegawa (Eduard) 1/48

Finished this favorite scheme of mine, German Navy MarineFlieger.








Lockheed F-104G - Hasegawa 1/48

Some pictures of my current build: Eduard's boxing of Hasegawa's F-104G 1/48.


Martin Baker GQ-7A bang seat




Finished cockpit



An inspirational build that obsessed me for a while and  published in Air Fan N°136 in the 90s:



Comparison of Haseg and DACO wings




Masking of the air intakes:




I tried to fill the horrible rivets with MrSurfacer & Deluxe Perfect Putty but the result was far from "perfect". I had to finish the job with CA glue:




Re-scribing of the nose details: A 6-steps tutorial
1- Helped by Dymo tape, I use a needle to re-scribe straight lines


2 - The same needle is used to re-scribe rivets



3 - The line running around the nose cone is done helped using a circle template


4 - For a perfect work, I use a bit of Tamiya cement to blend all imperfections


5 -  When the cement is dry, fine steel wool is used to smooth the surface

<

Yakovlev UT-1b (Mikro-Mir 1/48) - finished

Calling it done !
This was my longest build so far, not that the kit is intrinsically bad, it just lacks so many details and every single part needs to be taken care of or rebuilt from scratch. Overall, I had a lot of fun building this kit and learnt a lot of new modelling techniques.








Яковлев УТ-1

Yakovlev UT-1b (Mikro-Mir 1/48) - Part 7

Several details were added using plastic card and brass








Painting ! Finally !