Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from June, 2014

Yakovlev UT-1b (Mikro-Mir 1/48) - Part 4

Hi,

The cockpit is finally done. Not perfect though, but that will do.

I made a new Instrument Panel as the one in the box was a bit undersized. I used the drawing from the official manual to print my IP on plastic card. The shape of the new IP is not 100% accurate but at least it fits ok now.



I made the instruments with wire and decals. To make it faster, I made a coil out of wire and cut the [i]sausage[/i] in the middle to make plenty of little circles. Just have to choose the roundest ones.






Bezels were first glued with Tamiya extra-fluid cement, and later firmly stuck in place by inserting a toothpick impregnated with CA glue into the holes. The instruments were made from spare decals and sealed with Future + transparent acetate sheet.



The cockpit now finished:





You can notice that the rudder pedals are quite far from the seat. This is explained by Russian pilots having very long legs and wearing stilettos. Saw it too late and couldn't be bothered.


The painting of the headrest…

Yakovlev UT-1b (Mikro-Mir 1/48) - Part 3

Hi,

Cockpit detailing finally done  ;)

As I said before, I had to make a new seat. I added a cushion for the pilot's buttock and scratched the fifth seat belt that goes between the legs. Not sure though if I am going to keep the cushion for the pilot's butt. BTW, the part numbering is total chaos.



I used fishing line to simulate the rigging on the cockpit sides and modified the engine controls with 3 throttles (instead of 4 as suggested by Mikro-Mir). The mid cable is intentionally out of the axis.





I scratch-made the rudder controls and the stick: